Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blogger Virgin

So this is my first time ever writing a blog. All sorts of things are running through my head...why am I compelled to start a blog? do I want anyone to read this? haven't I always thought that it was somewhat narcissistic? Oh well, a hypocrite I am, then.

Last night, I had the most vivide dream. I was at the high school where I teach, when I found out that a student had died. I did not know the student, who was a mentally handicapped girl, personally, but the loss was still a shock. The emotions were so real, that when I woke up, I immediately scanned my brain to see if someone, in fact, had died. When I came to the conclusion that this had not actually happened, my second thought was, what if it did? I didn't tell my husband about it, thinking that he would find me somewhat morbid. However, when I got to school, the first e-mail that I read was from my principal, saying that a student had committed suicide the night before.

I was stunned.

A short while later, one of my students staggered in, red-eyed, and asked me to talk to her outside of my room. Apparently, the young man who had passed was one of her friends and she was so distraught that she wasn't sure if she could handle it. I knew right then that God had prepared me for this moment. We talked for about 30 minutes, covering all sorts of topics on the spectrum, including why he had chosen to take his own life and why this wasn't the answer. She finally told me that she felt like she was worthless and that she had contemplated suicide herself. I am so glad that I had the chance to talk to her then, and tell her that she was so loved and that taking such a drastic measure was the last thing in the world we wanted her to do.

I accidentally sent an e-mail responding to the principal, talking about my dream (it had been to my friend, another teacher). She wrote me back saying that she too had been given a message by God that she would be speaking about a deceased student during graduation.

What an eventful day. And who says that God is not here with us, every day?

3 comments:

  1. I love how intimately He meets us wherever we are and gives us whatever we need. Whether we know we need it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing when we receive these messages. I've had a very similar experience; not about a student, but about my mother, who was terminally ill. I think this is His way of preparing us; providing us with the strength and courage to face some of our most challenging times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under the circumstances that was an amazing 1st blog post! I can't imagine the pressures our youth have these days but it's great to know they have someone like you that they can talk to. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete